Returning to Intimacy With Christ Web Page
John 6: 66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. 67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? 68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
Since the Holy Spirit came into my heart when I got saved 41 years ago, I have always been convinced of this truth, “thou hast the words of eternal life.” I have searched and studied God’s word for the meaning of life and what our purpose is here on earth. That His truth would give me a quality of living that previously has been foreign to me. The truth that I have embraced and understood through the Holy Spirit has been life changing and that is the reason I have stayed with it all these years. His truth has healed me of my addictions, my lust, my selfishness, my criticalness and my negative mindset.
Peter answered him, “thou hast the words of eternal life,” careful observation with the above scripture tells us that the very words that Jesus spoke are eternal and gives life to all who believe in them. That there is power in the word of the name Jesus. Many testimonials can attest to the healing life changing name of Jesus. Believing in His truth has brought them literally from death to life, from darkness to light, and a rebellious sinner to a child of God. Eternal life speaks of a never ending span of time; however it also speaks of a quality of life in the here and now, hidden within WORDS of ETERNAL LIFE. God’s desire for his creation is to have and possess an abundant life but since the sin of man our mind has been alienated from this abundant living of life. We have to be taught how to live an abundant life through the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Instead, in this world we’ve been grown up learning lies about life itself that abundant living is found within you and yet we are full of selfish ambitions and empty goals that are meaningless toward living a life of abundance. The world tells us that acquiring lots of money is the key to happiness when in reality you’ve just traded one sorrow for another sorrow. Just read the book of Ecclesiastes written by King Solomon, he had it all and tried it all. Yet he summed it all up in vanities of vanities saith the preacher, all is vanity. Solomon’s conclusion is found in Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Returning To Intimacy With Christ Web Page
Scripture: Gal. 3: 27-29 For all of you were baptize into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male or female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise.
Identity is the fact of being who or what a person or thing is, the state of having unique identifying characteristics held by no other person or thing.
Self-worth the sense of one’s own value or worth as a person; self-esteem; self-respect
I. Mistaken Identity:
- When we base our identity or our self worth on what the fallen world says of us we will receive a false identity.
- It is equivalent to asking a blind man for directions.
- 2 Co. 4:4 the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
- We have allowed parents or the people around us to define our identity or self-worth.
- Many people have no idea of their identity, who they are, what they want to do or their purpose for living.
- The self-image they have of themselves is nothing but a lie.
- Many people have been called loser, worthless, or no good like your father or mother.
- The sad thing is we believed them.
- Words like this hurt and take years to overcome for some people.
- Our identity is not found in what anyone says about you.
- No imperfect person has the right to define who you are seeing how that they also have fallen short of the glory of God like the rest of us.
- Our identity is not found in our failures.
- It doesn’t matter how many times you fall it how many times you get back up and keep going that says a lot about your character and who you are.
- Abraham Lincoln failed 2 times in business, 8 times to be elected before becoming the president of the United States.
- He could of quit many times but he never gave up.
- That is what made him a great man.
- He never gave up.
- Our identity is not defined by our circumstances or by people.
II. Our Past Identity:
- Many times we allow our past sins to identify who we are as a person.
- Many people are haunted by their past.
- When the devil as well as people throw all our mistakes and failures up in our face and it is difficult to resist the truth about us.
- However, Our identity is not defined by our past even though it is the truth.
- The devil accuses us of what we have done.
- But Jesus says that is the truth but my blood covers it all, to be remembered no more.
- My Dad was called Wild Bill, when God changed his heart didn’t like this nickname that reminded him of all the bad things he had done.
- His new identity was Sweet William in Christ.
- Until we come to Christ all of us have been defined by our past.
- Phil 3:13 forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies
- There has to be a breaking of the will in order for us to be redefined in Christ.
III. The Breaking of Our Will:
- Before we can recognize our true identity our will has to be broken of the lies of that false image we have taken pride in.
- Acts 7:30 and in Exodus 3 Moses was raised in Egypt for 40 years then when he killed an Egyptian he fled to the backside of the desert where he lived another 40 years.
- It took the Lord God 40 years in order to break the will of Moses.
- In Exodus 3:11 Moses said who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh?
- Then again in Exodus 4: 10 I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.”
- Moses faith in his own abilities was greatly diminished after 40 years.
- God greatly used Moses who found his identity in God.
- Joseph was a young boy who was pretty cocky with the dreams that God had given him.
- Genesis 37: 2 Joseph was17 years old when his brothers sold him to the Midianites.
- Genesis 41:46 Joseph was 30 years old when he became ruler of all Egypt.
- If my math serves me correctly Joseph spent 13 years as a slave and in prison.
- Joseph’s will had to be broken.
- He had to totally rely on God in all of his circumstances.
- Because of his total reliance upon God.
- God was with Joseph and blest him wherever he was.
- God allows our own consequences of sin and circumstances to break us of our own self will.
- So He can reveal who we really are……priceless treasures.
IV. Our Identity is in Christ;
- We have to put on Christ before we can discover our true identity and our internal worth that we were born with.
- Putting on Jesus Christ is likening to putting on our armor.
- Some armor on the breastplate has their family crest identifying who they are.
- Our breast plate crest is Jesus Christ.
- The breastplate of righteousness is not our own but the putting on of Christ righteousness by faith.
- Think of putting on the chain mail of Christ upon your body followed by His breastplate of righteousness over the chain mail with His crest upon your chest thereby identifying who you are to the world.
- Paul stated in 3:9 that he had not a righteousness of his own but the righteousness that comes through faith in God.
- So therefore the chainmail and the breastplate is the clothing ourselves in Jesus Christ.
- For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise. (Galatians 3:27-29 NASB)
- We have lost our identity in Christ no longer are they’re any nationality, nor male or female but we are all as one in Christ.
- Jesus is our new identity
- Matthew 10: 40 “He who receives you receives Me, and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me.
- Matthew 18:4-5 “Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 “And whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me;
- Those who gave their hearts to Christ gave up their lives for something better.
- He who has lost his life for my sake will find it and indeed we have.
- If you define yourself as a loser you will forever walk like a loser if you allow God to define you a child of the king you will walk as a son of God with privileges.
- All the promises of God all the host of heaven are here to support you in your walk with God.
- 2 Kings 6:15 -17 Now when the attendant of the man of God had risen early and gone out, behold, an army with horses and chariots was circling the city. And his servant said to him, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?” 16 So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” 17 Then Elisha prayed and said, “O LORD, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.” And the LORD opened the servant’s eyes and he saw; and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.
- The God of heaven told Moses, Joshua, Jeremiah and countless other to be not afraid.
- Why? There is more with us than be with them!!!
- Only the one who is our creator can define who you truly are for He made you.
- Christ listing of attributes——switch to Me
- Servant of All
- You, all that you are—–switch to Jesus
- Then switch Jesus to your list and your name to Jesus list.
- Jesus takes on what we WERE so we can become who He IS
V. Our Inheritance:
- Has we find our identity in Christ walking as a child of the King we have certain privileges.
- Not only ALL the promises of God, not only ALL the host of heaven to back us but we also have an inheritance.
- As Joint heirs with Christ we will own it all.
- Ephesians 1: 3 – 14
- Let’s break down these verses.
- In verse 3 “blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly in Christ” Blessed is in aorist tense meaning it is past tense it has already happened, done deal.
- In verse 4 He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, to be holy and blameless before Him.
- In verse 5 he predestined us to adoption, as sons through Jesus according to His will and this in verse 6 is because of His grace which he freely bestowed upon us.
- In verse 7 We have redemption through His blood the forgiveness of all sins and again it because of the riches of His grace in verse 8 he lavished upon us.
- Meaning God spared no expense He went all out to secure our salvation.
- In verse 9 & 10 he made known to us the mystery of His will that is the acceptance of the redemption of the Jews and Gentiles by faith into His kingdom.
- In verse 11 we have an inheritance that was predestined according to His purpose.
- Predestinated according to the Greek is in aorist tense meaning it was decide before hand of our inheritance according to His will.
- In verse 12 the first to hope in Christ is the Jews.
- In verse 13 and 14 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory.
- We are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise given as a pledge of our inheritance, we are God’s own possession.
- Sealed is the proof of purchase the redemption of those who accepted His plan of salvation.
- He sealed the purchase by putting the Holy Spirit inside of us.
- We now have all the authority of heaven backing us because of who we are or rather whose we are.
- Ephesians 3:1- 7 For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles—2 if indeed you have heard of the stewardship of God’s grace which was given to me for you; 3 that by revelation there was made known to me the mystery, as I wrote before in brief. 4 By referring to this, when you read you can understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which in other generations was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit; 6 to be specific, that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel, 7 of which I was made a minister, according to the gift of God’s grace which was given to me according to the working of His power.
- 3:20 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ;
- 2 Tim 2: 12 we will also reign with Him;
- Romans 8:16 -17 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ,
- John 3: 35 “The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand.
- SO this is meaning that everything we see that God has created is ours because it is our inheritance ordained by God in being joint heirs with Christ.
- Ephesians 3:6 that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel,
- We are truly rich as Christians.
- There is absolutely nothing we should ever be ashamed concerning our walk with him because we will own it all.
- We need to walk differently from now on as Christian’s.
- No longer are we the scum of the earth in the worlds eyes, we belong to the Jesus Christ the Son of God.
- We serve the God of the Universe who by His grace has given us access to His salvation and has planted His Holy Spirit as a seal guaranteeing our place with him.
- The Holy Spirit within us will help us to be MORE THAN CONQUERORS with anything we face as long as we totally rely upon Him.
- We has JOINT HEIRS with Christ what the world calls their own is actually all ours through Christ.
- As a Christian with the Spirit of the living God inside us comes with all the privileges, promises and support from the King of Kings.
- Never walk in fear again for we have a living hope an eternal hope in the heavens.