Script. 2 Peter 1:1-9
I. Applying all Diligence add to your faith:
- Our faith needs to be supplied in order to grow.
- What is the point of wanting a changed life and not going all the way.
- Applying all diligence, in your faith supply.
- The devil want to destroy us, weaken us, make complacent.
- Luke 8:13 those on rocky soil are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no firm root; they believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away.
- Diligence is to have zeal to be eager, to do quickly to add to your faith.
II. In your Faith supply Moral excellence:
- 2 Peter 3: 17- 18 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness, 18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
- The Holy Spirit is in seed form and must be supplied too in order to grow
- 1 Peter 2: 1-3 Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander, 2 like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation, 3 if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord.
- New born babes were told to put away all wickedness, all treachery, all pretense (acting), all jealousy, all evil speech or slander.
- So as newborn babes there are things that we are going to have to get rid of.
- It is being conscientiously aware of how your life’s decisions affect other people.
- It is being conscientiously aware that everyone you meet has an eternal destination.
- 2 Co 3: 17-18 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.
- Our life’s ambitions are to give all glory to God.
- 1 Co 10:31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
- When you are aware that in all you do, you must bring glory to God then you are bringing moral excellence to your faith.
- When you are fully aware of other people and take careful steps to walk in the word by faith and in the Spirit of God you are adding moral excellence into your faith.
III. Add to your Faith Knowledge
- Faith needs knowledge in order for it to grow.
- Peter stresses that in order for faith to grow you need to add more knowledge.
- 2 Peter 1:2 -3 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; 3 seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.
- He has given unto us according to His divine power everything pertaining to life and godliness.
- To stress the importance of this knowledge he says it again in verse 4 for by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.
- The author wrote 3 times in one chapter how important the knowledge of Jesus Christ truly is to our lives.
- Tony Evans said, “You cannot grow beyond what you know.”
- Otherwise the Bible wouldn’t be stressing it so much.
- Look at Paul in Phil 3: 8 I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,
- The knowledge of God is worth everything that this world has to offer.
- Our foundation can only be made from the materials that we supply the Holy Spirit with.
- The Holy Spirit can only use what He has available.
- The point is the nature of God is planted in seed form in our hearts.
- All the potential of God’s DNA has been deposited inside of those who believe in Him.
- Cory Betts.
- However that powerful DNA of God either grows to be fruitful or lies dormant unable to change the life or produce fruit to change anyone else’s life.
- Look closely at the scripture verse 4 so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature.
- It says, “may become” which signifies it is your choice to be a partaker of the divine nature.
- John Dominic Crossan, in his masterful book Jesus A Revolutionary Biography states that “the mustard plant is dangerous even when domesticated in the garden, and is deadly when growing wild in the grain fields. And those nesting birds, which may strike us as charming, represented to ancient farmers a permanent danger to the seed and to the grain. The point, in other words, is not just that the mustard plant starts as a proverbially small seed and grows into a shrub of three, four, or five feet in height. It is that it tends to take over where it is not wanted, that it tends to get out of control, and that it tends to attract birds within cultivated areas, where they are not particularly desired. And that, said Jesus, is what the Kingdom of God was like. Like a pungent shrub with dangerous take-over properties (Jesus A Revolutionary Biography, page 65).
- The DNA inside of us is contagious not only in changing our lives forever but any life that we may encounter one believer who in zeal hungered for grow and maturity, full of the Holy Spirit.
- The devil knows the take over properties of a mustard seed Christian who gave all diligence adding to his or her faith and produced fruit, addicting fruit for anyone who wants to really live life to the fullest.
- With some Christians the seed lies dormant for many years never growing.
- These complacent Christians tie the Holy Spirit’s hands to prevent Him from taking them to the next level of abundance.
IV. Add to your Faith Self-Control:
- Self-control simply means to control oneself, hold fast to be strong, to refrain oneself from giving in
- Genesis 43:30 – 31 Joseph hurried out for he was deeply stirred over his brother, and he sought a place to weep; and he entered his chamber and wept there. 31 Then he washed his face and came out; and he controlled himself and said, “Serve the meal.”
- Basically this means for us to not lose our focus on the eternal perspective.
- The enemy wants to cause us to lose focus, to lose sight of what is important
V. Add to your Faith Perseverance:
- We learn the most through severe trials.
- God comes ever so close to us during the worst trial that we have ever encountered.
- Malachi 3:2 -3 “But who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears? For He is like a refiner’s fire and like fullers’ soap. 3 “He will sit as a smelter and purifier of silver, and He will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, so that they may present to the LORD offerings in righteousness.
- Zachariah 13: 9 “And I will bring the third part through the fire, Refine them as silver is refined, And test them as gold is tested. They will call on My name, And I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are My people,’ And they will say, ‘The LORD is my God.’”
- Daniel 3: 25 He said, “Look! I see four men loosed and walking about in the midst of the fire without harm, and the appearance of the fourth is like a son of the gods!”
- The next verse says come out ye servants of the Most High God.
- Jesus is with us in the midst of our fiery trials.
- So we must persevere, stay the course, don’t give up is what this is telling us.
VI. Add to your faith Godliness:
- The temptation in our perseverance is to quit to give up on God.
- We must continue on to godliness, to doing the next right thing in obedience to God because it is worth the struggle.
VII. Add to your faith Brotherly Kindness:
- Whatever is troubling you reach out to a brother or sister and minister to them.
- If your depressed reach out to someone who needs it.
- Have trouble with relationships help someone in need in that area.
- To selflessly help someone or anyone.
- Here is the reason why Luke 6: 38 “Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure—pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return.”
- Need love, give it. Need compassion give it. Need mercy give it. Need friendship give it.
VIII. Add to your faith Love:
- Love someone who is unlovable.
- Romans 5:6 For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.
- Love someone who is helpless like you were when Christ loved you and died for you.
IX. Embrace these Qualities:
- 2 Peter 1: 8-9 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.
- Render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- True knowledge is a working in faith knowledge that reaches to the heart of every person.
- However, if you lack these qualities you are blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins.
- You forgot what Jesus Christ did for you.
- You forgot that for the joy before him he endured the cross.
- You forgot the beatings, the forty lashes, the crown of thorns, the spear in his side and the nails piercing his hands and feet.
- He did it all for your healing and for your freedom.
If this series helps you or your new converts please feel free to use and copy. This is not an exhaustive research of scriptures on the subject I just used what I felt led of the Holy Spirit to use. If this helps in any way please email me.
Thank You firstname.lastname@example.org